Everything you need to know about tests and exams (click here to open in new page).
Most exams consists of at least two parts:
Part 1. Reading
Two reading texts with a range of question types.
Part 2. Writing
You will have to write an essay on an academic topic. You will be required to write 250 - 300 words.
While reading the topic (before you start writing), try to understand what type of essay you are requested to write:
• Advantages /Disadvantages
• Agree /Disagree
• Problem /Solution
• Compare /Contrast
• Cause /Effect
• Effects / Solutions
To learn about parts of an essay, click here.
To learn how to write a good introduction, click here.
To learn how to write a good conclusion, click here.
Click here to get useful essay writing ideas and nice examples.
Essays on Various Topics (essay writing ideas and examples).
• Read and analyze the full question, not just the first few words
• Plan and organize your ideas
• Write your essay in at least four sections
• Introduction - describe the topic briefly, with the focus on the central question.
• Write two or three body paragraphs; write a clear topic sentence and support your ideas with good clear reasons. Give examples. Describe results and link them with a good range of linking words.
• The conclusion should be logical, clear and short; summarize the main points and give your opinion.
When you finish writing, read your essay five times:
• Check grammar and vocabulary use, spelling, and punctuation
• Make sure you used a range of linking phrases.
Essay Writing Tips
Essay Writing Ideas
Types of Essays
12 Essays (Topics)